SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#293838 - 09/21/10 09:12 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You know, I've seen far more lamentations about the loss of Technics arrangers, than posting bemoaning the demise of Roland's TOTL/MOTL arranger line.

They appeared to have many true-blue followers, and must have sold quite a few units.

Technics used to be Yamaha's biggest competitor in many Canadian provinces, especially Quebec and Vancouver.

They were great instruments, and one wonders how advanced they would have become if they continued to produce arrangers.

An old KN-series was the first arranger I saw with chord inversion capability.

Ian

#293839 - 09/21/10 09:57 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think most people that miss the Technics do so because nothing else has QUITE got the bigband sound down as well as they did... But, once again, I think it is the styles and style team that made the difference, not necessarily the arranger itself. Make bigband styles that sound JUST like Technics' did, I bet there wouldn't be as much 'fond memories'....

Plus, you CAN still find an odd new G70 and a bunch of cherry used ones fairly easily. People tend to get FAR fonder of old gear once it becomes a lot harder to find and keep working!

BTW, thanks for the 1, 2, cha-cha... ah, sweet memories!

#293840 - 09/22/10 05:20 AM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Dnj Offline

maybe that why Fran has a MINT KN2000 in his closet

#293841 - 09/22/10 06:23 AM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But, once again, I think it is the styles and style team that made the difference, not necessarily the arranger itself.

Yep, that's probably why...the styles were also simple, but very effectively programmed, and very musical.

They were one of the first, if not the first, arranger manufacturer to use PCM sounds and drum kits.

A great easy to use OS didn't do it any harm either.

Ian

#293842 - 09/22/10 04:36 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
This is kind of why I have been harping on so much about copy protected styles, just lately... It's likely that the same guys that programmed the Technics styles are still around, and might LOVE to make styles as good for Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Ketron, etc., but until a way is provided so they don't get ripped off and shared, they are probably not going to make them...

And that is ALL our loss, IMO.

#293843 - 09/22/10 04:57 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
This is kind of why I have been harping on so much about copy protected styles, just lately... It's likely that the same guys that programmed the Technics styles are still around, and might LOVE to make styles as good for Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Ketron, etc., but until a way is provided so they don't get ripped off and shared, they are probably not going to make them...

And that is ALL our loss, IMO.

Yes I agree again.

And the argument that someone will find a way to crack it, doesn't wash in my view.

These days, with call and response activation, a style can actually be linked to a particular instruments ID Rom chip, or combination of hardware components (vis-a-vis Windows 7) so THAT style can ONLY be activated and played on the keyboard with the exact same hardware configuration.

It is possible to get it really REALLY close to un-crackable....and if all users were vigilant and honest, the ones using cracked styles would soon be weeded out.

Dennis

#293844 - 10/02/10 11:26 AM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I reposted my original post..first comment..

#293845 - 10/02/10 10:08 PM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
When I had my Ensoniq keyboards and sampler, I used to buy new voices by the ton and never ever even considered buying a new keyboard until Ensoniq went south.
The dealers couldn't get the new into inventory fast enough. they were sold before they even got delivered. There was a huge marked for those voicings for years.
I think each software came with a dozen new voices and also had some great arrangements using those voices.
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 10-03-2010).]

#293846 - 10/03/10 12:53 AM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
LOL People playing T2s are only playing them because they cannot or will not fork over $4000 for a T3 or T$ I don;t think its because they believe their T2 is better. I run into people all day long with 9000 and 3000 that would ove to get a 910 but are strapped.

Roland user don't have a choice but to stay with what they know. There are no upgraded arrangers. If I did not get such great prices on boards I would have the 910 instead of the Tyros. Even over a Pa2x which I had for a few months and sold. can't speak for the GW. Only had one available used and it was $1900 and 100 miles away.

The things one loved about their choice another hates whether drums or editing. I fell that way about the XS no need to upgrade even for $600. but the T4 I will upgrade,
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#293847 - 10/03/10 01:38 AM Re: Why the G70 is the "best" to me..recap
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I reposted my original post..first comment..

Thank you Fran.

There is a lot of usefull information in your post, espescially for those looking for the best arranger keyboard money can buy. Now i can keep using your post as a reference for advising people.

A friend boiught one for €1000 for his daughter. Can't even buy a halfway decent new arranger for that money espescially if you need 76 keys. now when i need to advise people.

Its still very close to the current competitors despite his age.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online